It can be difficult to tell if someone is experiencing a substance-induced high or an overdose. The following is some information on how you could tell the difference. If you’re having a hard time telling the difference, it is best to treat the situation like an overdose by calling 911– it could save someone’s life.
If someone is really high and using downers like heroin, or pills:
If you are noticed that someone is getting too high, it is important that you do not leave them alone. If the impaired person is still conscious, walk them around, keep them awake, and monitor their breathing.
The following are signs of an overdose:
If someone is making unfamiliar sounds while they are “sleeping” wake them up, especially if you know the person has a history of using or abusing opioids. Many people think the person is snoring, when in fact the person is overdosing. It is rare for someone to die immediately from an overdose and when people survive, it’s because someone was there to help.
The most important thing is to not panic and act right away! Click here for information on how to respond to an opioid overdose by SAVE ME acronym.