An important decision for individuals seeking addiction treatment for themselves or their loved ones is whether to stay close in their own town or to travel to another state.
Deciding where to go to get alcohol or drug addiction treatment involves more than just finding a convenient location for the treatment. One obvious reason to travel is that the best fit isn’t located close by, or the treatment available at the nearby facility is not as comprehensive as the one found elsewhere. However, there is another reason which may compel one to seek treatment at a facility far from home. Generally, home is where the individual is engaged with substance abuse. There is a place where the support network for the abuse exists. The struggling addict knows where to find the money, where to get the drug, and where it is a safe place to use it. This is the support network sustaining the habit. Obviously, the first item on the agenda for someone trying to quit and start the recovery process is to disrupt this routine and start a new one conducive to recovery.
Getting away from “people and places” that are part of one’s addiction routine is and has been a strong reason to get away from the environment that perpetuates or allows using. This arguably should be a good enough reason to travel far from the circle of friends and those who have played, knowingly or unknowingly, the enabler role in the person’s drug use.
Many say that getting away from family and friends and attending an inpatient drug or alcohol rehab away from home encourages the individual seeking treatment to immerse himself or herself in a new community of recovery. This setting often establishes real positive changes at a mental, physical, and spiritual level, helping recovering individuals avoid triggers found at their place of residence that may cause a relapse. An unfamiliar environment can also promote recovery providing an opportunity for the recovering individual to stop, think, and focus on the changes needed to achieve lasting recovery. In addition, as in most cases, admission to an addiction treatment facility is voluntary, and being far away from home can deflect some of the temptation to walk away from a rehab program.
Regardless of the choice of distance for the addiction treatment facility, it is recommended to make a call to schedule a tour of the facility you are going to choose and sit with the clinical director to talk about the treatment plans offered. If the tour of the facility is not an option, you should at least call and talk to someone from the medical or clinical department to ask any questions you may have.
A successful drug or alcohol addiction treatment may need to incorporate detoxification in addition to counseling, and medications may be prescribed if necessary. One more thing you want to know is if detox is offered on-site or the patients are transported off-site for detox. This is important, as facilities providing onsite detox have to go through stricter licensing procedures that the ones without on-premises detox. Knowing what to expect from treatment makes it easier for both recovering individuals and their loved ones to make the final decision when it comes to the treatment facility and the location.
With more than 14,500 specialized drug rehab centers in the United States, it is the due diligence in choosing the right drug and alcohol rehab that can increase the odds in favor of a successful recovery.
Below are a few suggestions that you may find helpful in finding a reliable rehab center:
- Be wary of any treatment center that claims “miraculous” success rates
- Find out if the facility has been around long enough to have established experience
- Check the website to see if they provide actual photos of their facility (grounds, lounge area, bedrooms, meeting space, etc.)
- Check the Website to see staffing information
- Check Website for licensing information
- When you call you should get a live person instead of a voice recording
- When you call you should be given sufficient time to get your questions answered
- Phone service available evenings and weekends to contact someone at the facility
- When you call you should feel emotionally supported if fear and anxiety overcome you during the phone conversation
- Find out if the facility offers travel assistance to facilitate the admission (booking flights, shuttle service, flight layover assistance, etc. – It is illegal to pay for travel expenses to the facility)
- Whether intake Personnel perform a comprehensive medical, psychological analysis upon admission
- The facility has established procedures to discharge clients that use drugs or alcohol during their stay
- The facility has onsite medical doctors and nurses
- The facility is located within reasonable driving distance to a hospital for medical emergencies
- Drug testing when the staff has reasonable grounds to suspect a client of drug or alcohol consumption
- Facility offering travel expenses for out of town/state clients
- Facility performing excessive urine tests that is out of the norm
- Any officers of the facility have been involved in medical/insurance fraud
- The facility has a high turnover for medical or therapy staff
- The therapy and the residences are located in a different part of town
Although there are as many approaches to alcohol and drug treatment as there are treatment facilities, a quality substance abuse treatment program will have sufficient:
- Intensity (sufficient to keep clients engaged)
- Focus (trying not to do too much, too soon)
- Variety (therapy, education, recreation, nutrition, etc.)
- Flexibility (adjusting the program to meet the needs of a client)
- Portability (the ability to apply the curriculum to life after treatment)
- Aftercare and Discharge Planning
Florida Center for Recovery in Fort Pierce, FL – Detox and Drug and Alcohol Rehab
If you or a loved one is looking for addiction treatment consider Florida Center for Recovery. We offer a comprehensive treatment plan and a supportive team of professionals to help individuals who are diagnosed with addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders. Our drug and alcohol rehab center in Florida relies on the latest evidence-based therapeutic treatments as well as holistic therapies to give our clients the very best chance of a successful recovery.
Our rehab programs are offered to both men and women 18 and older and we provide specialized programs for expectant mothers, chronic relapsers, and for individuals who are struggling with trauma through RAPID RESOLUTION THERAPY®.
Below are a few highlights of our Florida Rehab in Saint Lucie County.
- A complete individualized approach to treat addiction and mental health disorders
- All-Inclusive Inpatient Medical Detox
- Medical and Psychological Evaluation
- Addiction Treatment Assessment
- Integrated Treatment for Co-Occurring Disorders
- Group and Individual Psychotherapy
- Gender-Specific Counseling
- Grief / Loss Therapy
- Rapid Resolution Therapy® (Trauma Therapy)
- Intensive Family Therapy
- Relapse Prevention
- 12 Steps & SMART Recovery® (Non 12 Step)
- Biofeedback Therapy
- Recovery Educational Workshops
- Life Skills Training
- Nutritional Counseling
- Spiritual Counseling
- Mindful Meditation
- Bodyweight Cardio
- Art Therapy
- Drum Therapy
- Recreational Activities
- Aftercare Programming
- Discharge Planning
Connect with someone who can help you now by calling Florida Center for Recovery at toll-free: 800-851-3291. Our recovery advisors are available from 8:30 am to midnight to assist you with any treatment-related information and guidance.
Please find below-related articles about rehab centers and addiction treatment: