Delirium tremens (DTs) is a rapid onset of confusion usually caused by withdrawal from alcohol. When it occurs, it is often three days into the withdrawal.
Symptoms most often occur within 48 to 96 hours after the last drink. But, they can occur 7 to 10 days after the last drink.
Symptoms may get worse quickly, and can include:
- Delirium, which is sudden severe confusion
- Body tremors
- Changes in mental function
- Agitation, irritability
- Deep sleep that lasts for a day or longer
- Excitement or fear
- Hallucinations (seeing or feeling things that are not really there)
- Bursts of energy
- Quick mood changes
- Restlessness, excitementv
- Sensitivity to light, sound, touch
- Stupor, sleepiness, fatigue
Delirium tremens is an emergency condition. Go to the emergency room or call the local emergency number (such as 911) if you have symptoms.
Information provided above is courtesy of: https://medlineplus.gov
Alcohol Detox in Florida
If you or someone you know is struggling with Alcohol Addiction and need alcohol detox, connect with someone who can help you now by calling Florida Center for Recovery at our toll free number: 844-989-4036. Our recovery advisors are available 24/7 to provide you with information regarding treatment, admissions, insurance and private pay options.